The other day as we were sitting on the sofa listening to the radio getting ready to do our read alouds the kids told me "Sing this song." I started to, fumbling for words, not realizing which song it was for the first few lines. By the time we hit the chorus, I realized "Duh, Toby Mac, Speak Life".
As I sang the words, "Hope will fall like rain as you speak life with the words you say...Look into the eyes of the broken hearted, watch them come alive as soon as you speak hope, you speak love, you speak....
I had one of those moments where a song spoke especially clearly to me, and I suggested to the kids that this could be a theme song for each of us. As I returned their blank stares, I reminded them of the power words have to encourage and inspire or to crush a person's spirit. Since I have more than one child, we had an opportunity to discuss that it isn't just the content of our words that can encourage or crush, but also the tone and attitude with which our words are spoken.
Lord, please help me to "speak life" to my family, to my co-workers, those I provide care for and to others I meet as I go through my day.
No comments:
Post a Comment