Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Frescoes

Yesterday, we were blessed with an extra child for school, so it seemed like the perfect time to complete an art project. I've actually wanted to do this since Elise was in 2nd grade and I found the basic directions in one of the history books, so we're only FIVE years behind schedule. ;) We're currently entering the Renaissance in our history studies, so what could be more perfect than to paint a fresco.

We started off with aluminum cake pans, plaster of paris and paint. They drew a picture of what they wanted to paint in the bottom of the pan. 


Dad mixed up the plaster and poured in a very thin layer. (He's used some recently and I hadn't realized we were almost out.) Then they went to work painting (on the damp plaster) using tempera paints.


Here they are after they finished. I think we will cut the cake pan to the level of the plaster and they may be encouraged to cover the rough edges with duck tape. One of the best parts, is apart from planning the project, I didn't have to do anything. It was all Erik, Elise, her dear friend and Dad.

1 comment:

reader19 said...

Those fresco's look great! Thanks for sharing that information, and the pictures with all of us! That really looks 'do-able"!

Thanks!!!