Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Medieval Project: Stained Glass

By Elise


Step One: When making faux stained glass, you are laying leading onto a piece of glass and then painting it. To make sure that the lead and paint stay on you must first clean the surface with alcohol.

Step Two: After you have cleaned the surface with alcohol, and have dried it, you are ready to lay down the leading*. Make sure you have a pattern that you like so that you have a design to go off of, otherwise you will have a hard time making it look good.



Step Three: When you are ready to lay the paint** down, select the colors that you are most likely going to use. You can always change your mind while your painting and you haven't laid down the color, but it is best to know what you plan to use.


Step four: Take the picture frame you have been going to use and cut away the back of the cardboard that holds the picture in. if it stays there it will not let the light through. Then glue the glass in so it will not fall out.




I used glass paint and liquid leading from a gallery glass paint set. I bought my own picture frame with glass. The original how-to instructions were from this site   http://www.craft-craft.net/crafts-lessons-faux-stained-glass-tutorial.html

*The leading depending on the kind you use may take around eight hours to dry.
**The paint depending on the kind you use may take around eight hours to set and three days to cure.

2 comments:

reader19 said...

The stained glass project is amazing!!!! Wow! That is even more beautiful than I imagined!!! Thanks for such a good description of how you did it; now I really would love to do that here! Congratulations on such a great accomplishment! Gorgeous!

Allie said...

Thanks! It was lots of work, but I had fun! (Elise)